Everyone's favorite Brooklyn post hardcore freaks Primitive Weapons are getting ready to go back out on tour with underground favorites Cult Leader. In preparation the guys wanted to talk about budgeting for tours and some rules of the road. These are the sort of things I talk about all the time when giving advice to band and I feel like Primitive Weapons do a great job of distilling a lot of it in just a few key points here.
Perhaps that's because members Arthur Sheperd and Dave Castillo run the legendary Saint Vitus Bar! The road is a terrifying and dark place, I have lost track of the stories of times I should have died or times I actually thought I died. Figuring out how you are going to make it through with a penny left in your pocket is one of the hardest things to do out there. It's not a joke when I say one of my proudest life accomplishments was spending only $200 of my personal money on a thirty day tour. It's a hard knock life. Let's see what the boys have to say.
5. Don't stay in hotels, eat or drink (anything), pay for gas,or rent a van. Actually, just stay home, especially if your from NYC where it takes 2 hours to get in and out (and 15 minutes to get anywhere else after you get out).
BUT it's all worth it once your up there on stage…..am I right?
4. Try to actually stand at the table and sell your merch. It helps in actually selling it. Setting it up and then going to the bar is not a great idea, unless you are us.
3. Breaking even should not be considered a "successful tour", but yet it is.
2. Don't fly over seas and play for $100 a night…oh wait….
1.5 Understand that your rider is part of the hospitality budget which is part of your guarantee (if you have one) and is not your God given right to receive extra handouts from the venue cause you drew well, it's business and everyone wants to stay IN BUSINESS. Also, don't let your agent send the European festival rider, it's embarrassing.
1. Scale your vehicle to the size venue's you are playing, i.e. the bus shouldn't have a bigger cap than the venue.
Don't forget to check out the band at what one of these dates with Cult Leader!
11/30 Chicago, IL – Empty Bottle
12/01 Detroit, MI – Sanctuary
12/02 Toronto, ON – Hard Luck
12/04 Montreal, QC – Turbo Haus
12/05 Hartford, CT – The Webster
12/05 Philadelphia, PA – Ortlieb’s
12/07 Boston, MA – Great Scott
12/08 Brooklyn, NY – Saint Vitus
12/09 Baltimore, MD – Ottobar
12/11 Lexington, KY – Cosmic Charlie’s
12/12 Asheville, NC – Mothlight
12/13 Atlanta, GA – Drunken Unicorn